26 June 2010

BirdsofNIlgiris]

Though I am unable to state definitely, let me try to guess what these birds are by consulting the birdman. Those of you - readers - who may know are welcome to add your comments -

This bird was about 20 cm - Is this a female BLUE ROCK THRUSH?



This bird you see below was on the bough of a tree just above my head. We had parked within a plantation to study the birds that were flying about and I caught sight of this one on the nearby tree. This photo has been turned upside down in fact to make it clearer, the bird was actually clinging on to the tree and moving from the bottom of my field of view to the top. The bird was very close to me and looked about 15 cm long.

It looks slate grey here but as I was seeing it against the light and against the bough of a tree, from below that too,I can stretch the colour to greyish blue or indigo - So - is this a Nilgiri Verditer Flycatcher or a Male Blacknaped Blue Flycatcher?


Below is a photograph of two Rufousbacked Shrikes, about 25 cm with notably rufous rumps...I presume Male and Female.






Is the bird you see below a redwinged crested cuckoo or a whitebellied tree pie or a female Paradise Flycatcher? From the photo the bird appears small about 20 cm- but it was really far from where I stood - nearly 30 metres away, and on a tree - so it could easily have been twice that size. Say, it was anywhere between 20 cm and 40 cm long, esp with its tail hidden... My guess is it must have been about 20 cm and a female paradise flycatcher bending its head to peck itself on the chest...













Yellow vented bulbul



Baybacked Shrike - this was close - about 7-8 metres away - and definitely smaller than the pair displayed above - about 15 - 18 cm like a bulbul...





No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave your comments or simply sign here.