11 November 2009

Some Birds of Velachery and Pallikkaranai







This is the Pond Heron



This is the Cattle Egret


More Egrets


In the Background - Some Little Grebes, also known as Dabchicks. In the Foreground can be seen a few black polythene garbage bags and one or two birds that we will see closeup a little way down the page.


This bird is something that caused me to hunt around in books to discover it's name.. see the next three pictures as it comes into shape.


It is the Pheasant tailed Jacana, that is what it was!!!



Some sort of Egret?





A lovely picture of the much maligned crow! It is actually vain enough to glance at every puddle - would you believe it?


After shooting the crow, I went back from Pallikaranai Marsh/rubbish heap to The Velachery Rainwater lake. On the way is a little greenery - mostly reeds and marshy water, and what a treat I saw many birds there itself.. in the middle of the day!

Don't know this one's name yet, hunting to find out, but it looked brave on the wires...


This may be a tailor bird, a white throat or a munia.. just give me a few days to find out and post it here.


Another little black one similar to the one on the wires.


This is a Drongo.

Ah I almost thought this was a human scuttling through the reeds foraging for eggs (obviously at midday it couldn't be for any other purpose) until I spotted a feathery flutter of a wing in teh style of a bird... I still don't have a clear picture, but from the books' description of nextinghabits and the colour, I guess this may have been a Purple Moorhen.


Now I was back atthe Velachery Puddle. Here is a nice picture of a man casting his net to catch the fish.

Yo ho ho and Away we Go!

3 comments:

You can leave your comments or simply sign here.