05 May 2009

Bonsai report for the month

Hi fellow Gardening Enthusiasts!

I have something good to report on my Bonsai experiments.
I have tried to grow four flowering trees in a pot (that's what Bonsai is).

They are:

Maghizham (Mimusops Elengi, L; common name - Bullet Wood; Evergreen)

Shennbagham (Michealia Champaka, Threatened Species)

Pavazhamalli (Nyctanthes arbortristis; common name: Night/Coral Jasmine, Parijaat)

Manoranjitham (Artobotrys (hexapetalus) odorotissimus; Harichampa, climbing ylang ylang).

The Maghizham is now in season, as are all flowers including the ones listed above. I had put it in the only rectangular pot I had which was abut six inches deep and had nearly vertical sides. I pruned the roots and leaves three months ago.

It's a week now since this specimen has let out a new shoot and I think I am succeeding in making it grow at an angle between 45 and 50 degrees to the ground!


Hurrah!

2 comments:

  1. I live in Connecticut, USA. I used to live in Thiruvanmiyur. I was looking to grow all four above plants here in pots.It snows here, so I have to bring them in winter. Are yours doing well? I am so happy to see your blog post. Is shenbagam yellow or white variety?
    deepa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deepa,
      Glad to know about your effort and my best wishes that your plants do well. I do not have a happy story to narrate about my plants however! My shenbagam was the yellow variety...

      Delete

You can leave your comments or simply sign here.